Pages

Sunday 31 May 2015

Looking after the skin you're in.

Good morning!

I'm having a balanced breakfast of coffee and Netflix, how you doin'?! I know I'm a day early but tomorrow (June 1st) I'll be doing the VHI Mini Marathon for charity with the lovely ladies I work with so I decided to check in with you guys while I have a free day on my hands.

While we were preparing and making lists of essentials (a hoody just in case, a change of clothes for after, wine, etc...) of course the topic of SPF came up. Being outside in the elements for 10K poses a certain level of risk. Naturally we have all bases covered by now with weatherproof clothing and SPF Factor 50 all in the one bag (I won't mention the dreaded Irish climate), but it's nice to be careful.

All of this got me thinking about taking care of your skin in general. I'll be doing an in depth post on my actual skin care routine and the products that I love soon enough. For now I've compiled a list of tips and tricks that I find make a huge difference to my skin and how it looks. Some might be obvious, but maybe one or two might be new to you and you can hopefully incorporate them from here on out. Read on and see!

Review your skin care routine every 6 months;
Just like the whole winter vs. summer wardrobe routine, your skin care should go through a little editing process every 6 months or so. Whether it just be adding something moisturising in the winter or changing your SPF level in summer, your skin will need to little bit of TLC once the temperature gauge takes a large swing in either direction. The changes don't have to be massive and you certainly don't have to spend a whole lot of money, but doing a little de-cluttering and freshening up will do your skin the world of good.

Don't forget your body;
I'm a demon for doing this. I'll go weeks without so much as a lick of lotion on my knees or elbows and I'll be howling! Wearing skinnies for prolonged periods of time when you should have slapped E45 onto your legs is punishment in itself. Take it from me, I use the exfoliating side of a sponge once a week from the neck down and use a generic body lotion to keep my skin in check. I find this helps prevent blemishes down onto the neck and chest as well. Bonus! Obviously if you have drier skin on your body or a skin condition, please be careful with the scrubbing part.

Diet;
You all know what's coming. I starts with W- and ends in -ater. There's that, and also making sure that you get decent vitamins and good food into you. You'll have more energy and appear more vibrant all around, as well as giving your skin a little boost. At the start of this year I made a major change in my diet and started a fitness routine. My skin has thanked me for it, which is a nice side effect! If that's not your cup of tea, try to include a multivitamin with breakfast as an added boost!

Sleep with your hair away from your face;
Sebum secretes onto the skin and also onto the hair. Therefore sebum is just hitching a ride along your hair shafts in between washes. If you're sleeping with your hair in your face, the oil is more likely to transfer onto your skin. I'm sure you've guessed it, but introducing excess sebum back to your skin after cleaning it isn't beneficial. Get yourself a nice lil' girlo bun on the top of your head before you settle down for fourty winks and you be grand!

Change your bedding frequently; 
This ties into the previous tip. During the night your skin will produce oil and shed dead skin cells. I know it sounds gross but it's harmless and a natural procedure for the skin to go through! However, the longer you sleep on the same bedding the more build up that will be there. I personally flip my pillows each night so that I'm sleeping on each surface as few times as possible. This will help prevent a build up on one surface. I know we're all fabulously clean and hygienic anyway, but it doesn't hurt to get into a routine.

Don't be digging in your pores;
I'm going to sound like someone's mam but leave your face alone! I'm so guilty of this, I know there's nothing more satisfying than getting rid of a nasty white head but you'll do damage. Squeezing too hard can drive the blockage deeper into the skin and damage the pore even further. It will take longer for your blemishes to heal, and there's a chance you'll leave permanent marks. If I can try, you can try!

I know a fair few of these are generic enough but you'd be surprised the differences that can be made! As I mentioned I'll be putting together a proper skin care routine post, including reviews of some products I've been quite liking. Until then I'll be incorporating the above as much as possible!

Here's hoping we're all glowing and gorgeous for this summer,
Until next time,
J x




No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik