Pages

Friday 22 May 2015

"Setting" the record straight; Hydrating sprays vs. Setting sprays.

Good evening, ladies and gents. I'm outside of my usual Monday time frame I know, but that can't be helped. I'm here tonight instead, and I'm going to address a misconception that I come across quite frequently. This is something I used to take as gospel as well, but I'm now the wiser. The presumed notion I'll be referring to is as follows;

"MAC Fix+ is a setting spray."

On closer inspection Fix+ isn't a setting spray (although it does leave a nice finish once all of the make up has been applied.) It won't, however, increase the wear time of your make up. It's far from "setting" that this beauty was reared. 

Given that various beauty houses and even skincare brands have their own version of spray on products (be they toners, moisturising mists or other inventions) I think it's important to address the difference between the two key groups and let you guys know what they can be used for, and how to get the best out of your product. I'll start with the hydrating lads, shall I?

Hydrating sprays.

Main use; To add moisture back to dry, dehydrated skins. 

Key Ingredients; Glycerin. Rosewater, Aloe Vera extract is also listed quite frequently.

These sprays are generally marketed more as skincare, and they work really well at this step. Fix+ contains glycerin which is a humectant. Any humectant ingredient binds water to the skin by absorbing moisture in the environment. Layering these under serums and moisturisers will help to hydrate the skin. Products like Moisture Surge Face Spray by Clinique and Jurlique's Calming Mist are both hydrating and soothing sprays that contain this fantastic little ingredient. 
For the drier skin types out there, feel free to spritz a light layer over your make up to bring back a healthy sheen to the skin! These won't lock your war paint into place so for my oily skinned clan, stick to using these in your skin routine.

Setting sprays. 

Main use; To set the make up and keep it in place all day. Some can be used to prime the skin also.

Key Ingredients; Silicon ingredients, many contain alcohol.

In the style of Ronseal, these do exactly what they say on the tin. These products are designed to set the make up in place by leaving a lightweight, oil-controlling film across the skin so that the end result doesn't look heavy or cakey. These are usually offered as an alternative to setting powders, or to take away the look of heavy powder application. 
I've looked at the ingredients of a few choice options and they mostly contain silicon elements. If you remember the post about skin primers you'll know that these ingredients are beneficial for oily skins. This makes them fantastic primers as well, especially if you don't want too many heavy duty products on your skin. The down side is that they often contain alcohol so that the liquid can evaporate from the skin's surface. This will stop it mingling with any naturally occurring sebum but if you're in any way dry or sensitive I'd turn your head at this point. 
If you're interested in taking them for a test drive then definitely check out Urban Decay's De-Slick, Cinema Secrets Super Sealer or Model in a Bottle's Original Setting Spray. 

I know there's not a whole world of difference when it boils down to it but picking up the wrong one could wreak havoc on your beauty regimen. I'm by no means a skincare or product development aficionado, but my college days left me with some valuable info. Get into the habit of checking out what's in your beauty bits and pieces and you'll thank me, promise!

If you want to see some more product break downs like this one, definitely let me know! Give me another reason to spend hours reading about make up. Like, please? 

*insert the usual tired speech about various social media links at the top of the blog right here* I know I'm dragging the arse out of it now, I'm sorry. Not sorry enough to stop but I do feel a small twinge of guilt. Definite character progression, no? 

I hope this was in some way helpful.
Until next time, 
J x 










No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik