Pages

Monday 8 June 2015

Wingin' it: Top tips for applying winged liquid/gel eyeliner.

'Ello!

Monday has rolled around again and I'm back. After a couple of weeks of skin related posts I'm bringing you more make up this time around. Today I'll be going through how I apply gel or liquid liner. I'll be including some tips and tricks along the way, as well as products I would recommend! Let's get down to business...

The first thing to think about is what product you prefer to use. I prefer a gel as I find it's easier to create a smooth line with this type of product. The formula is a little bit thicker and doesn't smudge as easily as a liquid. However, if liquid is your thing then by all means go hell for leather with that!

If you're using a gel like me then nine times out of ten it'll come in a small pot. You can use either an angled or pointed liner brush to apply this. I prefer to use an angled brush (I used Inglot's 31T brush for this particular look) as the flat edge creates a smooth line for you. I also used Inglot's #77 gel liner. It's matte black and waterproof, so it's a must have for keeping your liner looking fresh all day. Once you nail down what you want to use, it's time to start the application.



  • Start by following your lower water line and applying a line of product. The water line is the ledge of skin just above your lower lashes. By following the curve that this creates you'll find the most complimentary angle for your eye shape. Everyone's eyes are relatively close in shape so this will help create an even angle for both wings. 
  • Create a line towards the eyelid, aiming for your top lashes. You want to create a lifted triangle from your lash line to the end of your liner. This will be the body of your wing. By starting this line just away from the end of the first one you applied, you keep the thin and pointed tip on your wing. 

  • Next I take my liner right into my inner corner and lift it up along my lid. I use less product here and keep it nice and thin at the beginning. You can always build this up later if you want it thicker. 
  • Next is the part where I take my line across the top lash line! By doing this last I already have the width of my liner determined by the wing and the inner corner. I find that this stops the liner from becoming thicker than I intended. As before, you can always build on top of this later if you prefer. 

  • The last thing I do is fill in the space left between the top of my line and my lashes. I take my time here and make sure I have enough liner pushed down into my lashes so that no skin is showing between my lashes and my liner. You can use this step to add any thickness to your liner or tweak the shape. You'll see the overall shape once it's filled in completely, so I'd say wait until this step before you add on to it. 


Another little goodie worth mentioning is Duraline by Inglot. It's a mixing medium that you add to any gel liner to make it more liquid. This product is absolutely genius! Manys the time this has saved a dried liner in my kit and extended the life of it by miles. You literally only need the tiniest bit though, so do be careful. You can also use this to clean up and sharpen your eye liner once you're finished. Take it on a flat concealer brush and run it against the wing of your liner for a clean, crisp finish.

Of course there are many different liner products and brushes that you can use to achieve a gorgeous finish. Have a little shop around and a little play with some bits and pieces. By finding a product that works well you'll have half the job done before you even start.

If you have any questions, you know where to find me. Any feedback would also be really appreciated, let me know what you'd like to see! We have some fab posts planned for the coming weeks so I'm really excited for them to go live. 

Until next time,
J x 








No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik