Pages

Friday 15 May 2015

Confessions Of A MakeUp Artist

HAPPY FRIDAY!

Today I am bringing you a post all about the boring but essential tasks that a MUA must do to be on their A game so let's talk a little about hygiene. It sounds very silly to say but hygiene is so important when your a freelance MUA and sometimes can make or break a clients experience. I want to share some of my key points when it comes to hygiene! If you have any you'd like to add sure drop a comment a below and share.


  • Brushes. Your tools are your best friend and for every client your brushes MUST be spotless. I have gotten myself into a really good habit of cleaning my brushes straight after each makeover. If you have one makeover after another and cannot give your brushes a good deep clean a good sanitising brush cleanser is essential and will be a life saver!
  • Hand. Sanitise sanitise sanitise. You can never clean your hands too much when on a makeup job. I like to keep my hand sanitiser right beside me when working so if you touch your hair or cough etc you can sanitise right then and there. It's also important for the client to see you cleaning your hands before going anywhere near her face, sending the right signals is essentials. 
  • Use a spatula and palette. When investing in kit and spending a fortune on different products it is so important to keep them clean and prevent cross contamination. And by that I mean...NEVER using a concealer wand directly on a clients face, always apply it to the back of your sanitised hand or a palette first and then use a brush. And that way if your client has a blemish, cold sore or an eye infection your not going to pass it along to your next client. You can do this similarly with foundation, lipstick, eye liners etc. 
  • Disposables. Similar to the point above always use disposables when applying mascara or brow gel to prevent cross contamination. You can pick them up super duper cheap in a beauty supply store. 
  • Keeping your kit clean and tidy. A good MUA is nothing without their kit and keeping it clean is a MUST. I like to organise my kit after every use to make sure its clean and tidy for the next client. By this I mean cleaning your actual products, for powder products you can use a tissue or a cleaning spray like "Beauty So Clean"  to remove any dirt, dust or excess product. Using surgical spirits or alcohol to sanitise lipsticks and sharpening pencils. It is also super important to keep track of use by dates on products and throwing away any that may be out of date specifically mascaras. 
  • No double dipping.....EVER.
So there is some of my essential tips and I guarantee if you get yourself into a good routine now it will feel second nature in no time, not to mention having a sparkling kit every time you visit a client. 
Hopefully you found something useful in this post and I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below!

Love, 
S x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik